The aim of shiatsu is to promote the process of self-healing and personal growth through balancing the Qi energy in the body. Body-mind wellbeing of a human being as a unity of body, mind, and spirit depends on the harmonic flow of this energy. Shiatsu massage enhances self-awareness and sensitivity, and releases tension. Shiatsu supports and nourishes vitality.
- Shiatsu 指 圧 is a Japanese massage based on traditional Chinese medicine and work with the entire body and with holistic approach.
- Shi means finger, Atsu pressure, but it is not only a massage, but also the overall tactile therapy.
- Shiatsu is a deeply relaxing experience, but also a thorough physical stretching and relaxation.
- Shiatsu is an excellent method of preventive care for body and spirit, and it relieves chronic problems.
Traditional Chinese medicine is based on knowledge about human body and his connection with nature, linking patterns of the Earth and the Universe, the link between internal and external forces and relations. Human being is seen as a natural part of the whole, which is constantly affecting us. Mind and body are viewed as interconnected, so that is why we must be treated holistically.
Western medicine usually solves the consequences of established disease, Chinese medicine, however, focuses primarily on prevention.
Health in Chinese medicine is defined as a state of energy balance and disease is deflection to one side or the other. For this reason, there is lack or the surplus on one or the other side. There is no "good" or "bad" energy, in Chinese medicine it does not simply exist. Energy can only be in a bad relationship (Yin-Yang), it can be in inadequate amount in a certain part of a body part or not in the right quality. Balancing of energy will harmonize the body.
As part of traditional Chinese medicine there are also included other important practices, which are: the right regime, exercise, herbal products and shiatsu.
- Appropriate nourishment: What we eat affects us directly in a medical and energy way and so that's why we should put more emphasis on diverse diet, adapting to the season, and we should also be taking into account the physical constitution of human being and his health.
- Appropriate physical activities: Activities such as Tai Chi or Qigong are mainly used for maintaining health and prevention of disease. After the disease, it conversely prevents recurrence of complaints. People, who are maintaining their mental and physical condition, compensate unilateral stress. They learn how to breathe properly; they improve their coordination and brainwork. As with all, the regularity of exercise is important, the optimal is daily exercise.
- Herbal medicine: Chinese phytotherapy is very sophisticated and effective. People have used parts of plants for healing since time immemorial. Information about the use of Chinese herbal medicines goes until 3000 BC. E.g. during the time of the ruler Shennong (nicknamed the divine farmer - a mythical emperor, whose reign dates back approximately 2800 years BC.) were compiled in a book 365 products not only from plants but also with animal and mineral origin. Chinese herbal mixtures may take several forms:
- Decoction (tang): the original method of serving herbs and most effective, but also the least appetizing taste.
- Herbal granules / tablets: are pressed herbs in granulated form. Smooth taste, less effective than decoction.
- Moulded pill (wan): traditional mixture moulded into small pellets. Taste is absolutely smooth, efficiency again lower than cooked herbs. They are also suitable for after treatment or less troubled conditions.
- Shiatsu: is a therapeutic massage that helps bring about a relaxed state, a feeling of relaxation, joy, vitality, balance, and quality sleep.
History of shiatsu
Shiatsu original roots reach deep into the history of the Chinese method of treatment. Modern shiatsu probably originated around 1925 in Japan. Namikoshi - founder of "The clinic of pressure therapy" does not work with meridian system, as in the original Shiatsu, but with pressure anatomical points, derived from their anatomical location. It favours western scientific approach against the classical theory. In present is the Shiatsu developed and given obviously more attention in the West than in Japan itself.
What is shiatsu?
Shiatsu is a form of massage and touch therapy which includes acupressure, reflexology, relaxation techniques, massage and moxibustion. Shiatsu solves medical problems in advance, at a time when the disease is still hidden, and the body gets only certain signals that probably something is not quite right. Before the disease breaks out in overt form, this pre-stage can take quite a long time. Shiatsu does not remove only the symptoms of the disease, but it solves the real cause by balancing the energy in the body. It's not just some sort of charging the body power, but it is more warming up energy flow, which will again get into circulation. This way are energy ratios balanced.
The aim of shiatsu is to promote the process of self-healing and personal growth through balancing the Qi energy in the body. Body-mental wellbeing of a person and unity of body and mind and spirit depends on the harmonic flow of this energy. Shiatsu massage enhances self-awareness and sensitivity, and releases tension. Shiatsu supports and nourishes the vitality.
Shiatsu is a safe and effective technique, focusing primarily on prevention but for certain diseases is also used as a form of physiotherapy. It is said that it influences an electromagnetic forces of the body, which are concentrated high or low in the particularly areas of pressure points. Calming or stimulating of these points is shiatsu trying to achieve rebalance the quality and quantity of electromagnetic energy distributed along the meridians, from which benefits not only the body but also the mind, emotions and spirit.
Why do shiatsu?
This tactile therapy and massage will make you feel better in your own body, you will feel better settled in it. It causes relief after chronic problems such as insomnia, anorexia, stress, indigestion, and with other problems that reduce the quality of human life. Shiatsu strengthens human health and it is a great prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation. Shiatsu is a safe and effective alternative treatment for body and soul.
How shiatsu works?
Shiatsu is proceeded unlike standard massage on the ground - on the mat, or on the futon. This form is little bit untraditional and therefore for some clients initially unusual, but for the therapist is this position a great advantage and makes his work much easier. He can use the full weight of the client.
The first shiatsu takes about an hour and it is usually done over a cotton or other lightweight and comfortable clothing. First, the therapist finds state power. He "scans" the patient's back and cleans energy potential. It is good to relax during the shiatsu, but it is not likely that everyone will be able to do it for the first time, because the first shiatsu is also about the building of trust between the client and the therapist. When the client finds out that, the technique is not only pleasant, but also painless, than he is able to relax and tranquilize and is able to rest and enjoy the shiatsu without fear.
The next phase is the stretching of muscles and joints. Places that are contractional, usually protects deeper problem. Classic massages can release these stiffed points, but in this way, we actually remove from the body these protective mechanisms, without solving the reasons for their occurrence.
Part of shiatsu can be supportive herbal medicine, consultations regarding eating and diet preparation.
Shiatsu is a safe and effective alternative treatment for body and soul.
Effects of massage is deeply relaxing and at the same time invigorating and refreshing. Shiatsu massage provided by therapist with appropriate training, supports general health, and can be used as a preventative health care. They can also assist people through crisis, difficult life phases, and processes of change. Shiatsu helps with a wide variety of physical ailments.
What shiatsu heals?
Shiatsu is now broadly applicable for nearly every diagnosis, not least as a support. It helps eliminate chronic pain, insomnia, headaches, digestive problems, unspecific pain of different nature like.
Shiatsu can help mitigate psychological problems, which are depression, mental instability, problems with resistance to stress and stressful situations. With Shiatsu can be treated problems as allergies, asthma, and decreased body immunity. Shiatsu can helps women who have trouble become pregnant.
Shiatsu uses as compensative means also athletes, both for restoring power after performance and also as a regular release of the entire body. Even mental relaxation for further performance and overall condition is very important.
After treatment using method Shiatsu may happen that the client will experience a reaction, which is a common part of regenerative processes in all integral medicinal methods precisely even Shiatsu. They may experience symptoms such as increased sensitivity, fatigue, nausea, muscle and joint pain or headaches and even momentary worsening of existing problems, and so on. These symptoms are not dangerous and usually disappear within one to three days. They come through themselves as a natural consequence of shiatsu treatments.
Immediately after the treatment, you should stay in a quieter and more relaxing mode, and drink plenty of liquids. There is no need to go to bed, but it is certainly not advisable to have right after the shiatsu the training or business meeting.
It is advisable to drink after shiatsu enough water without carbon dioxide, without bubbles. If it possible, it is good not expose ourselves to higher levels of stress, whether physical or mental. The best is to treat ourselves with some small pleasure. The body had started self-healing and healing processes, so it is good to make it for our body little bit easier.
Because these phenomena certainly do not occur every time, they are transitory and are not dangerous, it is useless to focus on them to much. If, however, the inconvenience lasted more than four days after treatment, then rather tell it to your shiatsu practitioner and ask him for advice.
Contraindications of shiatsu
Shiatsu is not normally used in cases where the client suffers with cancer. This tactile therapy, among other things, increases the flow of fluid within the vascular and lymphatic system. And that could contribute to spread of the disease throughout the body.
Shiatsu is not suitable to apply during the acute febrile conditions. Fever is a sign that the body fights infections and in such a moment, it should not be overloaded.
Shiatsu is also not done with clients in the third month of pregnancy.