Self-confidence – someone has it through the roof, someone else could use some more. However, neither of these alternative is ideal. If you are one of those who wish to improve their self-confidence, today's article might be helpful to you. You will learn not only what exactly self-confidence is and how it affects life, but also why it is good to have enough of it and how to achieve it.
Self-confidence is a term that may be perceived in various ways. Some people view it as related to their character, for others it is just a momentary state of mind. Whatever the view, when self-confidence is low, we tend to underestimate ourselves, doubt our qualities and we do not feel strong a mature personalities. In such cases, unyielding pessimism and stress speak in our lives, not making them better in any way.
Self-Confidence Is Important
However, from the psychological perspective, it is a much more complex concept. Self-confidence is related to myriad character qualities. It sets our behaviour, experiencing and attitude toward life. It is therefore closely related to optimism and pessimism.
Self-confidence could be defined as the approach to one's own personality, perception of oneself; it is closely related to trust in one's own skills and abilities. If a person realises who he or she is, then he or she can describe their needs, emotions and experiences and they can seek paths leading to happiness. Self-confidence determines to what extent and in what manner is a man capable to objectively assess his or her strengths and weaknesses and use the conclusions in their daily life to achieve the set goals. It is therefore obvious that the entire issue of self-confidence is a complex of partial attitudes in the context of inner life and in the issues of socialization and all else related.
Causes of Low Self-Confidence
Lack of healthy self-confidence is rooted in many causes.These causes manifest throughout the life and are rooted mainly in experiences that introduced more or less intense frustrations stemming from disappointment into life which leads to occurrence of doubt of oneself. These disappointments get into human life from childhood. It is therefore clear that self-confidence is formed by family background, friends, people from our near and far surroundings - in short anybody who deals with a person.
Suggestion of people whom we come into contact with, absorbs both consciously and unconsciously into our minds where it changes our opinions of ourselves.
Therefore, causes to low self-confidence may lie in high demands of your social surroundings that you failed to meet, but also even the low demands in which you may have thought you could do better. Absence of praise and suitable motivation to good performance, insufficient support... These are negatives contributing to self-confidence development limitation. It is impossible to generalize the causes or to put them in specific terms since they vary from one person to another as well as people's personalities. Becoming aware of all relations is the first step to improvement. The ability of self-reflection is vital to reinforce the relationship to oneself.
How To Improve Your Self-Confidence?
Successful improvement to one's self-confidence is a goal desired by many people. However few of them know what they really need to do to achieve it. The correct path stemming from realisation of causes and relations that have formed self-confidence to various extents is an imaginary start.
- find the cause of your low self-confidence and why you want to improve and strengthen it
- do activities that you enjoy and make you feel good
- make a list of your good qualities and remind yourself of them every day
- meet your friends frequently, communicate, meet new people
- take care of yourself, your experiences, talk about them, do not burden your mind
- create a daily schedule and outline the time for work and the time for relaxation
- surround yourself with pleasant things (your favourite music, colours, smells, tastes)
- overcome yourselves and gradually start doing activites that you primarily fear or consider too hard for yourself
- reward yourself
- motivate yourself
- study and retrieve information
- do not spread or pay attention to rumours and gossip
- learn to accept praise and do not be ashamed
- smile and seek opportunities to have real fun and a hearty laugh
- be active
- exercise your will and patience
- find positives (even an unpleasant task may bring some advantages)
- do not pay attention to what other people may think about you frequently, do not compare the incomparable
- if an issue arises, deal with it immediately
- rely on yourself, your decisions, be responsible
- trust yourself, trust your abilities
- do not get angry unnecessariy, reduce your nervosity
Low self-confidence is a problem for many people. Fortunately, it is possible to adjust it by means of suitable habits, behaviour and correct regulation of emotional experiences. The fact that you are struggling against underestimating and inferiority complex now does not mean it will go on forever. All you have to do is decide and start working on the change you desire. Results will surely show soon!