Stress - the problems that is very topical these days. The pace of this epoch is quite fast, the working demands are high, and when you add to all this everyday troubles, family problems or different relationship problems, it is not surprising that the organism response on these stressors with defensive reactions.
You feel stress when you are overload, when you feel that you cannot keep up and you are under big pressure. You just cannot control the situation, you live with the feeling that difficulties and challenges will spill over your head. The consequence of this state you are sleeping badly, you suffer from headaches, and you often feel exhausted and irritable. Stress is nowadays usual, in these hectic times, it is actually almost impossible to live without stress, but we are not adapt to its long duration. Therefore, it is desirable to deal with stress in time and do not let it continue to grow and damage our life.
Stress triggers or stressors
Internal or external stimuli that disrupt our inner balance are called stressors. According to the category, they divided into five groups:
- Psychological stressors are based on your thoughts and emotions. They are your internal stimuli - failure to cope with challenges at work or in your personal live, feelings of disappointment.
- Physical stressors originate in the external environment, it can be noisy environments, bright lights, extreme temperatures and the like.
- Among the social stressors belongs unhealthy lifestyle, poor social environment or background, or acute relationships with people.
- Traumatic stressors bind to specific traumatic experiences and situations in your life. It might be a dramatic escalation of the situation as the death of a loved one, loss of a partner or a job...
- Special categories are baby stressors, unpleasant childhood experiences, which can result in increased susceptibility to certain types of situations and experiences in adulthood.
Types of Stress
Manageable and not too much burdensome stress is called hypostres. Highly intense and poorly manageable stress is hyperstres. Unpleasant, significant stress is also called distress. In the worst cases, it can cause a range of illnesses or even death.
Eustress is the kind of stress that has a positive effect. It occurs when we expect something positive, it can rouse us to higher activity or motivate us to positive achievements and changes. It brings positive feelings, but still it is a stress, so even excess of eustress is not to desirable state, because it leads to unpleasant and poorly controllable states of body and mind.
Symptoms of stress
Learn to recognize the warning signs that your body gives you, so that you achieve the elimination or at least alleviate of stress. Bodily reactions to stress are rapid breathing, excessive sweating, drowsiness, tiredness, headache, tremble, contraction of stomach, physical weakness, overall fatigue. Emotional reactions are then nervousness, fear, anxiety, worry, anger, depression, panic attacks, memory loss, and feelings of inferiority. Stress also affects the change of our behaviour, there are signs of irritability, loss of appetite, aversion to sex and life, overeating, inability to sleep (insufficient or poor quality of sleep).
How does stress arises and what is it for?
Stress is originally a defence mechanism that has been useful in the past, in situation such as be in peril from wild animal. It led to the accumulation of all the forces of man and forced him to the exceptional performance and saving of existence. Today, the stress is raised by pressure of our environment and epoch. Every day we have to deal with difficult tasks and cope with frequent changes.
Nowadays, the most common stressors burdens are work, family, and social factors. Stressors may not be the only realistic, they may be alleged, but they induce stress response.
Psychological reactions to stress are anxiety, depression, and neurotic states. Physical manifestations are overactive of stress hormones. All these manifestations demands a lot of energy from our organism and, in the case of long-term exposure leads to exhaustion and fatigue.
A long-term effect of stress leads to the development of various diseases, e.g. diabetes, or it leads to hypertension, it causes various heart disease. We can feel the internal pressure, irritability, and muscle hardening. If you start, succumb your stressors, you devote too much attention to it in your thoughts and decisions, then you get into a vicious circle. You have created a negative pattern of behaviour, which will start unwittingly and completely control you.
Remove the negative pattern of behaviour
The first step to manage stress is to eliminate negative pattern of behaviour, but first we have to uncover it. The next step is to replace negative patterns with positive ones. Than we have subsequently fix positive pattern into our subconscious, which is not so easy task. Remember, however, that the positive pattern has the same effect as a strong negative pattern, and therefore the "rewrite" is worthwhile. Finding the pattern may not be for some people very easy, so it is worth it to seek the advice of an expert who will help define our stressors and patterns objectively and assist with subsequent reformation. Do not give up the struggle with stress, you can try to handle your life situation.
Thirteen basic tips how to manage stress, and how to prevent it.
- Prevention is always easier, and we can say that it is even more effective than trying to remove stress subsequently from our life.
- A healthy diet and plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet will make you more resistant to negative influences in your area.
- Regular exercise is an essential part of anti-stress precaution. Exercise regularly and choose the kind of movement that you really enjoy. Helpful can even be ordinary walking, regular brisk walking for 45 minutes a day is also an excellent prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
- Follow the regular sleep mode, which should ideally be 7-8 hours a day. Sleep in clean and ventilated room. After the sleep, you should feel relaxed.
- Check your life. You should feel, that you have control over your live, decide freely what you will do, think about the important events in your life.
- Do not be stuck in a routine and prepare for changes that may occur in your life.
- Humour - a great assistant to cope with stress. Focus on the positive and joyful sides of your life. Do not forget to laugh.
- Learn to speak about your problems. Communicate about your joys and sorrows with your close friends. Do not be withdrawn. Learn to communicate effectively.
- Relax sufficiently. Go for walks in the countryside, enjoy its tranquillity, and draw new strength. Relax, meditate, and take some time on yourselves. Listen to your favourite music. Do stretching exercises, breathing exercises, go to a massage.
- Find a hobby and make time for fun. In your spare time, avoid too competitive sports, go for a swim, to the theatre, for a walk. Do anything what offers you relaxation and recreation.
- Happiness is a state of mind - be positive.
- Build strong family ties, maintain old friendships, and make new connections with new people.
- Do not be shy to experience grief. It is part of life.
Ineffective strategy for solving stress
When the stress and anxiety occurs, many people tend to run away from them and react the ways, which will provide a temporary relief, however, in the long terms it has effect that is more destructive. People often run away from stress and anxiety to alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs. These methods of coping with stress, however, leads to addiction and in most cases even worsen the problems.
Relaxation and relaxation techniques
The purpose and basis of relaxation is to achieve relaxation of body and mind and achieve better psychological well-being. Between the stress of the body and mental tension exists a close relationship. When we relax our body during the relaxation, then this release subsequently transferred into our psyche.
Jacobson progressive relaxation works with tension and relaxation. First is rehearsing relaxing hand. Clench your hand in a fist and then relax it as much as possible. In doing so we realize where we have tension in our hand, and we can feel how strong it is. Then when you release your hand, be aware of changes in the feeling of relaxation. This exercise is followed by exercising the muscles of the head - especially the facial muscles (frown - relax, pucker nose - relax, etc.). Then we relax our neck, shoulders, and back, which are followed by exercising of the abdomen and chest and finally the lumbar part of the back and lower limbs. It is advisable to practice this every day. Gradually you will manage to eliminate excess tension in your body and consequently your psyche.
Autogenous training is probably the most widely used relaxation technique. In its standard form it is gradually rehearsing inducing feelings of heaviness and heat in the body, calm heart, and respiratory activity, a sense of pleasant warmth in the abdomen part of the body and feeling of a cool forehead. Training of particular skills is to take place several times a day for 5 to 15 minutes. This kind of relaxation can be used to facilitate the sleep.
Breathing exercises are suitable for people under stress in situations where is the danger of erupting of anger, before public appearances and the like. Its advantage is the relative simplicity and inconspicuousness. Experience the difference between two types of breathing - into the stomach and into the chest. When you relax, use abdominal breathing. Sit back or lie down and concentrate on your breathing. Inhale so much air that is comfortable for you, then hold your breath and calmly count to three, then breathe out while counting to five, repeat this exercise several times. It is likely that at the beginning your thoughts will stray, but try again concentrate on your breath and calm it down. Your ability to focus, however, will continue to improve over time and even your rest and total relaxation will be deeper.
Experts can help with stress and depression
Manifestations of stress significantly impair quality of life and it is hard to degrade them. The only effective and permanent way to get rid of stress is to find and eliminate its causes. Seemingly behind all this is today's pace of life, work overload, or relational crisis. However, the real causes lie deeper, in our subconscious. Even if you feel that, there is no way how to avoid the unpleasant feelings, how to getting rid of stress and depression and restore well-being, there always exists some way to solve it.